Beacon Pines: When a Clever Story Mechanic Slows the Story Down

I recently tried Beacon Pines, which I had picked up for free from the Epic Games Store some time ago. I did not get very far, so this is not meant to be a full review. These are more my initial impressions of one of the game's central mechanics, because I found it interesting in theory but oddly frustrating in practice.

Beacon Pines uses collectible words called "Charms" at certain story "Turning Points". At these moments, you choose a charm to complete part of the narration or dialogue, and that word changes how events proceed.

It is a clever idea, and I can see two things the system is trying to accomplish. Unfortunately, both also created some friction for me.

Charms Give Exploration a Purpose, but They Also Slow the Story Down

One obvious purpose of the charm system is to make exploration more meaningful.

In a narrative game, wandering around town looking at everything and talking to every character can easily feel like filler. By hiding charms in conversations and locations, Beacon Pines gives you a reason to explore. A seemingly unimportant conversation might reward you with a Charm word that later unlocks a different branch of the story at a Turning Point.

One immediate problem is that you do not necessarily know whether you have found everything useful.

Early on, the story gives you an interesting objective involving investigating a creepy warehouse. That sounded like the point where things might start moving and get interesting. But after reaching a Turning Point even before getting to the warehouse, I only had one charm available for that conversation.

At that point I had a choice. I could continue with the Charm I already had, or I could wander back through several locations, talk to a dozen people, and hope that somewhere I might uncover another useful word to give me another option. However the game gives you no obvious indication that such a word is even available yet (or if you have found everything there is to find).

That made the exploration feel strangely uncertain yet important. I was no longer exploring because I was curious about the town and genuinely wanted to investigate it or get to the know the inhabitants. I was exploring because there might be a progression token hidden in somebody's conversation. That generates a very different feeling when "exploring".

It could have been better if I already wanted to explore the town and talk to the people, but I didn't. The first few I spoke with weren't particularly interesting nor did they compel me to talk to more.

For me, that hurt the pacing badly. The story had finally given me an objective I wanted to pursue, but the Charm system encouraged me to stop and perform another sweep of the area first.

So the mechanic seems to solve one problem while creating another. It gives the world more mechanical relevance, but it can also make the player feel obligated to comb through that world before moving on with the story.

Finding a Charm Later and Using It Earlier Feels Odd

The second thing I found unusual is how Charms interact with the game's rewind system.

I do not actually mind rewinding a story to see a different outcome. In many ways, I prefer it. In other branching narrative games, seeing alternate outcomes may require replaying large sections of the game, carefully repeating the same sequence of choices and then changing one decision somewhere near the end. That can turn narrative experimentation into another kind of grind.

Beacon Pines avoids that by letting you jump back to previous Turning Points and try another Charm/word. That part makes sense to me. It is basically a much more convenient version of reloading an earlier save.

What feels stranger is that you can apparently find a new Charm after a Turning Point, then rewind and use that newly discovered word in the earlier scene.

That is mechanically interesting, but narratively peculiar.

There is a difference between saying, "I saw what happened after making this choice, so I want to go back and try the other one," and saying, "I found a new word later in the story, so now I can go back in time and make a choice that was not available to me before."

At that point, the Charms stop feeling like choices the character possesses and start feeling more like puzzle pieces collected by the player. The chronology of the story and the chronology of your progression become disconnected.

You are not merely changing a decision. You are retroactively inserting knowledge into an earlier point in the narrative.

A Story That Starts to Feel Like a Puzzle

I suspect this is completely intentional. Beacon Pines seems to treat its story less like a straight narrative with occasional choices and more like a branching puzzle box that gradually opens as you acquire the right words.

That is an interesting idea. But it also changes the feeling of progression. It clearly adds replay value since you can keep scrounging for Charms and then construct the event progression you finally want.

Which might still be fine except the pacing is slowed and now it's an increasingly larger bet whether the game is worth your time when you are sinking time into looking around for Charms instead of experiencing a hopefully good story.

The story already didn't hook me early and exploring the warehouse was the one thing I was looking forward to and then I'm hit with this mechanic. Maybe as I get older I'm looking for a clearer assurance that my time is going to be respected.

As an initial impression, I found the Charm/Turning Point system more interesting to think about than enjoyable to use. It is a clever mechanic that gives exploration a purpose and makes branching stories easier to revisit, while at the same time making exploration feel potentially obligatory and turning the narrative into something you solve backwards as well as forwards.

That may be exactly what some players enjoy about it. For me, it made an already slow opening feel even slower.

If you've played the game and liked the system, leave your thoughts about it in the comments!

Comments