This post has general tips and tricks for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing played on the PC at Heroic Difficulty. For a list of all our Van Helsing posts, click here.
Part 1 - Gorgon Pass
(Hunter, Heroic Difficulty)
When playing a Hunter, in the early game let Katarina tank while Van Helsing shoots. Once you have a good amount of "HP per Hit" enchantments and have collected skills and auras that heal Van Helsing (generally around the time you clear the main map of Croakwood), you can tank instead. Until then, examine your map for fallback positions so that you can kite enemies if they overwhelm Katarina. And give her the best gear even at the very start (e.g., Van Helsing's starting armour).
Gorgon's Pass is generally an easy map even on Heroic Difficulty using no potions. You can sometimes melee here with Lightning Strike with the Lethal Jolt or Shocking Strike power-ups.
- At the first bridge, the cutscene focusses on the destruction of the bridge. If you press [ESC], the cutscene camera reverts to normal and you can watch Van Helsing (harmlessly) flung back by the shockwave of the explosion.
- To get the "What's in the Bag" achievement of looting 20+ items from the Domovoi, use your power-ups to slow it or stop it. A power-up level 3 Shocking Strike can stop it for 6 seconds, for example. Leading up to the domovoi, keep your Rage at maximum. Also, be careful not to move too far north because you may get the attention of the bosses there.
- The bosses to the north just before the bridge can pull Van Helsing to them and briefly stun him. To avoid this, try to keep moving and let Katarina draw them away.
- In earlier versions of the game, Van Helsing could go to the other side of the river and shoot them because they couldn't find their way across the river. This exploit is no longer available in more recent versions.
- Clear the area beyond the bridge first and start shooting from that side. Use the cover, the bridge, and the river to try to keep some sort of impassable barrier between them and Van Helsing so that they cannot grab and drag him.
- Keep Katarina on ranged attack as that tends to draw at least some of them away. If she is cornered, switch her to ghost until she repositions by floating closer to Van Helsing.