Because there is already an official Enhanced Edition walkthrough from CD Projekt RED and an extensive database at The Witcher Wiki, we will only be touching on aspects of the game that are not documented there in-depth, or that you may not have thought about doing.
Play The Witcher risk-free with money-back guarantee from Good Old Games.
Talk to everyone in between phases of a quest to get dialogue and tidbits of information. Most of it is non-essential dialogue, but some of it might be of interest to you. Key times are:
- After you open the gate to the upper courtyard, and before you enter the keep for the first time with Leo. Talk to everyone.
- After you have cleared the upper level of Salamandra while looking for ingredients for the Potion for Triss, and before you go out to harvest ingredients from the Frightener. Talk to everyone.
- After you have created the Potion for Triss. Talk to Lambert.
- After you give the potion to Triss, but before you end the Prologue by going to the funeral. Talk to Eskel. This is a non-essential start to the Fistfight quest.
- After you learn Aard, click the Circle again to receive a temporary boost to Aard.
- DECISION: [The Frightener] or [Protect the Lab]
- You can use any three pieces of Meteorite to forge a sword, but you cannot get special bonuses unless you use three of the same.
- When you talk to Vesemir later when he is in the main hall and gives you instructions on how to get the Frightener ingredients, he gives you a Red Meteorite IF you pursue the dialogue topic "Do you and Triss argue often?". With this piece of Red Meteorite, you can have a 3-red-ore sword by Chapter 1. Otherwise you will have to wait till late Chapter 2. Either way, it is not an essential weapon.
- Because the Frightener cannot be hurt unless both cauldrons and the bell are sounding, you can take your time with this mission and save the Tawny Owl potion for later. There is also a lot of room to move, so there's little reason you will need Swallow unless you got hemmed in at the start and took a beating.
- Make sure you land the final blow to get the kill XP.
- The Lab
- After you give Triss the potion to heal her, she teaches you the formula for the Cat potion. You get "The Book of the Swallow" at the start of Chapter 1 no matter what, and it includes the formula for Cat.
- After you successfully make the potion, you can go back upstairs to the Evening Hall and the Crate there to get another Calcium Equum.