Here are general tips for playing the Chaos Champaign in Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, on HARD Difficulty. At the end of Chapter 1, Mission 6, we chose Nurgle instead of Khorne. A list of all our Warhammer: Mark of Chaos articles can be found here.
We won't be hand-holding you through absolutely everything, but instead just give tips on situations that we found tricky or that you might not have considered.
Chapter 4: The Rise of Chaos
Mission 3: Crossing the Rubec
- Bring at least one regiment of Chaos Furies.
- At the very start, two eagles begin to move to your location. They will reach you separately and with some time in between. Unless you want to have to resurrect lost units with the sorcerer (tedious if they are in different regiments), just retreat all your regiments to a corner and plant Thorgar out in front to attract attention. His retaliations against each eagle attack will ultimately kill it.
- You can help by inching an Axe Thrower regiment up, but there's a chance that the eagle will decide to target them instead -- Fliers circle around during their attacks and can re-evaluate their choice of a targets during that time.
- This is a very easy mission if you remember that the AI targets the nearest visible enemy. So, locate the enemy artillery and move a hero up front to take hits while you shoot their artillery with your own. Once the artillery is destroyed, the rest of the mission is straightforward and easy.
- You should have the Crown of Everlasting Conquest from a previous mission, which lets you regenerate HP over time. Since there is no time limit in this mission, you can retreat your hero cannon-bait and let them heal with this.
- After you cross the river, a regiment of Shadow Warriors come in from the southeastern road. They can travel stealthily, so they'll probably sneak up on your rear. If you do not have any more enemies left, it's possible that your rear guard will destroy them before you get a chance to recover lost models. Cover your rear with the Chaos Furies. Don't worry about losses to the Furies -- just don't lose a whole regiment.
- Once the map is clear, look for a crater with a Flame of the Gods somewhere to the west of the main enemy camp. It is not accessible on foot and cannot be revealed from the fog of war on foot. Fly your Chaos Furies there.
- The Flame of the Gods regenerates its power, so you can recover an unlimited number of Chaos Furies.
- To get the three items on the ground, teleport your sorcerer into the crater. Chaos Furies cannot pick up items.