We won't be hand-holding you through absolutely everything, but instead just give tips on situations that we found tricky or that you might not have considered.
Chapter 3: The Path to Glory
Mission 4: The Treachery of Allies
- This is a pretty easy and straightforward mission, but there are a couple of things we can do with some trickery.
- Sudobaal sits in a Flame of the Gods, and whenever he summons anything, it seems to drain the Flame to fill out their ranks immediately. If we can secure the Flame without ending the mission, we can fill out our own ranks and recover all our losses. The Flame starts with 150 HP and does not refill. You MUST bring at least 1 regiment of Chaos Furies to do this.
- There is some treasure in the southwest. The enemies there are not mission objectives, so you will need to bring a hero there to collect the treasure before finishing the mission.
- Since this is an easy mission, bring green troops you want to make veterans. You do still want to bring a lot of Axe Throwers, however.
- The cannon is not required and doesn't help that much. You can substitute a siege tower, which lets you put one regiment (e.g., of axe throwers) inside. In some of the tight spaces, the siege tower makes that axe thrower regiment more maneuverable since regular regiments need to have their models fall into their place in formation before they start attacking.
- If, like us, you chose Nurgle at the end of Chapter 1, you will face Bloodletters, which explode on death. They typically have enough HP to survive any ranged barrage and reach melee, so your front line should be the sorcerer plus high HP units such as Plague Bearers (3 HP). Keep healing like mad and you should be fine.
Phase 1 - Deployment
- Shortly after starting, two flights of furies will reach the staging area. If you are not prepared with blocking regiments, you will have to revive your troops later. This is easy but tedious, so just set up to expect them and wait for them to show up.
- Put all troops to the south side, and your sorcerer + blocking force to the northwest. That should draw all the furies, allowing your axe throwers to rain axes on them and kill them in short order.
- A few more will come later, but in too-long intervals to really try to milk for XP.
- Stay in the staging area: Enemies can't come at us from behind, and we are positioned against fury sorties
Phase 2 - Secure the Flame of the Gods
- We need to get Sudobaal away from the Flame of the Gods AND not trigger mission completion. Mission completion requires that all his summoned forces are destroyed, so we'll have to leave some alone while we use the Flame.
- To lure Sudobaal away, send one flight of furies to his location. That will trigger the final push where he summons a single big horde and charges. However, since we are still at our staging area, we can retreat the furies and let him come to our chokepoint and destroy him there.
- Note that on the way there our furies will attract Sudobaal's own furies. Lure them back to our staging area to be destroyed by axe throwers before heading back to the Flame of the Gods again.
- The mission requires that we destroy all his summonned forces, so we need to lure a couple away while we secure the Flame. We can do this with our furies. The first two wyrdspawn Sudobaal summons when our furies reach his location are will pursue the furies. The rest start marching down to Thorgar.
- Let the wyrdspawn follow the furies all the way to the northwest corner, then short-cut over the mountains back to the flame while they walk the long way back. Once they are far enough away, move the furies north of them so they reverse course again and head north. Repeat this to keep the wyrdspawn walking up and down the northwestern corridor.
- If you find this tedious, then set the furies to god mode with the Army Creep cheat and sit them slightly offshore with Stand Ground ON so they don't drift over to attack the Wyrdspawn. While the wyrdspawn try to kill them, finish up what you need to do.
- Clear the map -- there are items in the southwest corner guarded by daemons that were not summoned by Sudobaal, and therefore do not need to be destroyed for the mission to be a success. You therefore need to find the time to do it before finishing the mission.
- Then secure the Flame and fill in your ranks (and since this is an easy mission, you could have taken non-veteran regiments to raise to level 3 and get free models). Move the furies to the Flame to finally recover their numbers.
- Because wyrdspawn are very dangerous to your units (they automatically hit for 1 point of magic damage on each attack), you may want to assault them only with heroes. And with the Ring of Change you can immediately transform one of them into your ally.